Tuesday 14 September 2010

The jewel of Lusaka

I have been fortunate enough to go to Zambia for business... and wow, what a gem I stumbled across... The Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Lusaka.
An amazing design & awesome craftsmanship! Designed by Ian Reeler from Hope, Reeler & Morris and the structural engineers were Ove Arup (same company that was involved with the Sydney Opera house). I have to mention the contractor as I think the workmanship is just amazing, Harold Mitchell of H.K. Mitchell Ltd. It was commissioned in 1956 and completed in 1962.
As we all know "god is in the detail", even if it is the paving details with mirror the ceiling design! BEAUTIFUL!
The stained glass reminds me of the stained glass ceiling at the National Gallery in Melbourne, Australia. And apparently there is a direct correlation/relationship with the Coventry Cathedral.
One just has to LOVE Africa, it is full of surprises!

No comments: